Broader, more comprehensive selection of GPS devices deemed perfect fit for national retailer’s new in-store assortment strategy focusing on high-demand consumer electronics.
TomTom, a leading portable navigation solution provider worldwide, and RadioShack Corporation announced that TomTom’s newest line of personal navigation devices will be offered at 2,500 RadioShack stores across the United States.
The nationwide rollout, which starts this month, is part of RadioShack’s previously announced in-store inventory assortment strategy. The company is creating room in its stores to focus on new, innovative technologies, such as global positioning systems (GPS) that are of growing interest to today’s technologically savvy consumers.
The new GPS product line succeeds the current award-winning GO range, and includes two models, the TomTom GO 910 and TomTom GO 510.
Building on the strengths that have made TomTom devices so popular, the new TomTom GO series includes hundreds of features and software improvements including:
• An extra wide crystal-clear 4-inch LCD touch-screen with a 3D map view and graphics.
• An improved anti-glare screen with a built-in sensor that automatically adjusts to the changing external light, ensuring optimal display by day, night and even in direct sunlight.
• iPod® compatibility to see, select and play songs.
• Hands-free calling using Bluetooth® technology permitting users to make and receive calls while driving with just a touch of the screen.
• Clear verbal instructions, including street and place names in up to 36 languages and more than 50 different voices.
• A free software application, TomTom HOME that is compatible with PC and MAC. TomTom HOME enables users to manage, download, store and transfer additional content from their computer onto the new TomTom GO. Drivers can pre-plan routes, download maps and gain even easier access to the new TomTom PLUS content and services like TomTom Audiobooks, TomTom Buddy Finder, TomTom Traffic & Road Conditions and the 5-day weather forecast.
• Pre-loaded maps of U.S., Canada and Europe ( Europe on the GO 910 only).
“The breadth of RadioShack’s distribution network with thousands of convenient neighborhood stores and its well-deserved reputation as a market maker for new technologies is a natural complement to TomTom’s growing brand presence,” said Jocelyn Vigreux, president of TomTom. “We are excited about expanding our reach to even more people across the U.S. with such a highly rated, customer-focused retailer.”
RadioShack recognizes the growth potential of the portable navigation market, adding, “Portable GPS is increasingly becoming a highly sought-after product that customers are looking to purchase, and it’s a perfect fit for the enhanced store environment we’re creating,” said Jim Hamilton, RadioShack’s executive vice president, merchandising and marketing. “The mass public is just now starting to catch on to the tremendous benefits offered by portable GPS devices, and the new TomTom GO line is a great example of innovative and easy-to-use products that enhance the lifestyles of today’s on-the-go families and individuals.”
Ten latest articles from Navigation